An in-depth look at the internals of the WordPress system. As the most popular blogging and content management platform available today, WordPress is a powerful tool. This exciting book goes beyond the basics and delves into the heart of the WordPress system, offering overviews of the functional aspects of WordPress as well as plug-in and theme development.
As the most popular self-hosted blogging software in use today, WordPress is remarkably simple to operate and can be extended and tailored for a wide variety of applications. This guide focuses on the internal structure and flow of the core code, as well as the data model on which that code operates, so that you can harness the power of WordPress to meet your specific needs. The author team pulls together developer and deployer expertise, as well as knowledge of popular open source plugins, themes, and tools for WordPress, to provide an in-depth guide suitable for all WordPress users, from self-hosted bloggers to enterprise content management system applications.
- Offers an overview of the WordPress system and describes what happens when a WordPress-generated web page is displayed
- Discusses the core of WordPress, describing internal code flow and data structures
- Demonstrates extending WordPress through plugins and customizing it via themes
- Combines a developer view of user experience and optimization with the deployer requirements for performance, security, and measurement
- Provides practical examples of integrating WordPress with enterprise and social networking tools
What is covered in this book?
- WordPress as a Content Management System
- Hosting Options
- Installing WordPress Files
- Database Configuration
- Dashboard Widgets
- Customizing the Dashboard
- Creating and Managing Content
- Categorizing Your Content
- Working with Media
- Comments and Discussion
- Working with Users
- Managing, Adding, Upgrading, and Using the Theme Editor
- Working with Widgets
- Adding and Managing New Plugins
- Configuring WordPress
- Exploring the Code
- Configuring Key Files
- wp-config.php file
- Advanced wp-config Options
- What’s in the Core?
- WordPress Codex and Resources
- Understanding and customizing the Loop
- Building A Custom Query
- Complex Database Operations
- Dealing With Errors
- Direct Database Manipulation
- Building Your Own Taxonomies
- Plugin Packaging
- Create a Dashboard Widget
- Creating a Plugin Example
- Publish to the Plugin Directory
- Installing a Theme
- Creating Your Own Theme
- How and When to Use Custom Page Templates
- How to Use Custom Page Templates
- Pushing Content from WordPress to Other Sites
- Usability and Usability Testing
- Getting Your Site Found
- How Web Standards Get Your Data Discovered
- Load Balancing Your WordPress Site
- Securing Your WordPress Site
- Using WordPress in the Enterprise
- Is WordPress Right for Your Enterprise?
- and much more!
Buy Now From Amazon
WordPress is much more than just a blogging platform now. This flexible CMS is the power behind millions of URLs, including blue-chip companies, small business, and personal websites. Flash is a world-famous multimedia platform. This book will show you the best of the proven and popular strategies and techniques to deliver rich multimedia content, which will let you sail through the world of Flashy WordPress with ease.
This book will take you through clear well-formed and comprehensive recipes, through the most essential and useful Flash multimedia tools for WordPress available today including plugins for images, audio and video, as well as projects you can do yourself in Flash. It helps you to create a WordPress website full of Flash content. We show the big picture by providing context, best practices and strategies. Detailed instructions are provided for each section.
This book provides you with the shortlist of the most essential Flash tools for creating a dynamic and media-rich website or blog, and shows you how to implement these on your site. The sections on Flash are intended to give you the option to create custom .swf files, giving you an alternative to plugins that already exist. The book will show you how to configure Flash content in your WordPress site/blog for maximum SEO, introduce Flash content to your WordPress with and without plugins, import image feeds, use lightbox effects, and much more.
Easy-to-follow recipes showing you how to use WordPress, plugins, and Flash animations to create a complete user experience, including: audio, video, slideshows, image galleries, and more
What you will learn from this book
- Embed SWF files with the Kimili plugin
- Add Flash Detection when you embed a SWF without a plugin
- Configure WordPress and maximize search engine optimization
- Use the Flickr plugin and WordPress Multibox plugin for your images
- Create your own effects, watermarks, image gallery, and slideshow from scratch with Flash
- Use the NextGen Gallery plugin for image thumbnails, watermarking, and galleries
- Embed FLV files in WordPress
- Set up video blogging using WebTV Plugin and the Free WP Tube Theme
- Encode video files with the Adobe Media Encoder
- Use the audio plugins WPAudio Player, ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ÂµAudio, and PodPress
- Add sound effects to a button and the timeline in Flash
- Stream sound and create/code your own On/Off music button and an MP3 player
- Using preset Flash skins
- Create a Custom Quote Rotator using XML and ActionScript in Flash
- Use and configure these plugins: WP-Cumulus Plugin, Tagnetic Poetry Plugin, Flexi Quote Rotator Plugin, WP sIFR Plugin, XML Google Maps Plugin, Datafeedr Random Ads Plugin, and WP Flash Feed Scroll Reader Plugin
- Customize WordPress themes
- Create animations and buttons in Flash
This book consists of a series of easy-to-follow recipes. Each recipe stands on its own, so you can open the book to any recipe and complete it without going through the previous recipes. You can work through the book from start to end or just choose the recipes most applicable to your needs and situation. The book presents recipes of varying difficulty levels so that there is something for everyone from a beginner to an advanced WordPress user. Detailed screenshots, code examples, and links to additional resources supplement the concise instructions.
Who this book is written for
If you are a WordPress user interested in creating multimedia-rich websites and blogs using Flash then this book is perfect for you. This book caters for site administrators and web developers, who have experience using Flash aand WordPress.
About the Author
Peter Spannagle is a WordPress Consultant and technology trainer, specializing in client-side coding, design using the Adobe Creative Suite, and online marketing. He is based in Oakland, California and works with clients in the San Francisco Bay Area, statewide, nationally, and internationally. In over 12 years of consulting experience he has enjoyed working with small businesses, non-profits, green businesses, artists, and independent professionals. He invites you to contact him for help with your next WordPress project.
Sarah Soward develops the curriculum for and teaches the Adobe Creative Suite and design theory at the Bay Area Video Coalition. She has 5 years experience as a technology trainer and is Adobe Certified. She specializes in creating web and print collateral for small businesses and non-profits. She is the Art Director for The Pagan Alliance, a non-profit organization, and a working fine artist (oil painting and drawing). In addition to teaching Flash, she is also an expert in the use of Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
Buy Now From Amazon